BPI-216N/L Hardware Reference
This page describes the BPI-216's hardware, hookup, configuration and specifications. For information on sending data and instructions to the display please see the programmer's reference.
Table of Contents
Cautions and Warranty
Handling, Usage and Operating Precautions
- Do not exceed the maximum supply voltage of 5.3Vdc.
- Always ensure that supply polarity is correct.
- If the screen requires cleaning, use low-tack tape to remove dust.
- Do not wipe or scrub the screen; it is easily scratched.
- In a permanent installation, mount the display behind a transparent window.
- Protect the unit from electrostatic discharge (ESD).
- Do not subject the display to sharp impact or mechanical pressure.
- Do not disassemble, drill or modify the unit in any way.
- Do not allow solvents, cleaners, or water to come into contact with the screen.
- Do not operate when wet or under conditions of condensing humidity (dew).
Seetron warrants this product against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 90 days. If you discover a defect, we will, at our option, repair, replace, or refund the purchase price. Return the product with a description of the problem. We will return your product or its replacement via standard shipping. Expedited shipping is available at the customer's expense. Note: Violating the usage guidelines above, or attempting to repair or modify the module or the serial interface, voids this warranty.
Hooking up the BPI-216 requires three connections: 5Vdc (regulated), serial input (2400 or 9600 bps, N81) and ground (connected to both power and the computer/controller).
BPI-216 Serial Interface Board.
You may control the BPI-216L *backlight via an external switch: Set the onboard BL switch off/down, and connect the switch across the pads indicated in the picture.
*Backlit models (BPI-216Ls) indicated by paint dot in the L[•] box.
There are two configuration switches* on the BPI-216 serial interface:
- BL/ON (Backlight): Set to ON to light LED backlight (if backlit model BPI-216L; no effect on -216N)
- 24/96: Sets serial data rate to 2400 or 9600 bps.
*Version 1.1 of the BPI interface substitutes cuttable jumpers for switches. Default state is equivalent to switches ON (i.e., 9600bps, BL ON). Cutting the jumpers is equivalent to turning the switches OFF.
BPI-216s accept inverted serial input, such as the output of an *RS-232 port. The direct output of a UART is noninverted; it is not compatible unless inverted (NOT gate). In some cases, workarounds exist to avoid the additional component:
- Basic Stamp SEROUT instructions accept a parameter that inverts the output in software.
- Arduino v1.0+ SoftwareSerial supports inverted output:
SoftwareSerial(rxPin, txPin, 1);(where 1 sets inverted output).
- PIC microcontrollers with the "enhanced" USART (EUSART) can be configured for inverted output by setting the SCKP bit of the BAUDCON register during USART initialization.
*RS-232 serial signals often use ±10V signals. These voltages will not harm the BPI-216, which has a protective "clamp" circuit on its serial input.
Dimensions (in mm)
Total depth (front of screen to highest point on pcb) is 22mm (BPI-216N) or 26mm (BPI-216L). Back and side-view drawings are TBD.
|A||y offset edge to hole center (top & bottom)||2.50|
|B||y pcb height||36.00|
|C||y hole spacing||31.00|
|D||y screen opening||16.20|
|E||y character height||5.94|
|F||x character width||2.95|
|G||x offset pcb edge to hole center||2.50|
|H||x screen frame||71.00|
|I||x screen opening||66.00|
|J||x hole spacing||75.00|
|K||x pcb width||80.00|
|L||y frame height||25.00|
|-||mounting hole diameter||2.50|
|-||screen frame depth (BPI-216N)||5.00|
|-||screen frame depth (BPI-216L)||8.50|
As mentioned in "Cautions" above, BPI-216 must be mounted behind a transparent window in any permanent installation. If it is not, the screen will be vulnerable to damage from users' fingers (e.g., electrostatic discharge or mechanical stress), moisture, dirt, mechanical damage, etc. Damage of this kind is not covered by warranty.
An inexpensive mounting kit is available for these devices (PN: BEZ-216), but any transparent barrier will suffice.
|Power Requirements||4.8 to 5.5Vdc at 8-10mA (65mA backlight on)|
|Serial Input (electrical)||RS-232 (±15V OK), inverted TTL|
|Serial Input (logic/data)||Inverted, 2400 or 9600bps|
|User Connector||5-pin header, 0.025in. posts on 0.10in. centers|
|Connector Pinout||+5V Gnd Serial Gnd +5V|
|Operating Temp.||0° to 50° C (32° to 122°F)|
|Display Type||STN Character LCD, 2 lines x 16 characters|
|Character Size||5x7 pixels, 5.94mm (0.23in.) height|
|Overall Size (wxh)||80x36mm (3.15x1.42in.)|
|Depth||-N: 22mm (0.87in.); -L: 26mm (1.02in.)|